Blog posts are the personal views of Letty Hardi and not official statements or records on behalf of the Falls Church City Council
We have a packed and historic week coming up. If you, too, have school-age kids and are drowning in end of year picnics, field days, recitals, teacher gifts, spring sports that just won’t end … I see you (and offer you a stress reliever below*). And even if you are above water, I hope you find this a useful guide to what’s coming up.
Can’t attend? If you’re a Democrat, your bare minimum civic duty is to vote in the primaries on Tuesday. Also take two easy surveys to provide us your input about the future of the city for the Comp Plan changes I wrote about a few weeks ago. Survey links are below.
Finally, today is Wear Orange Day for Gun Violence Awareness, especially meaningful for fellow public servants this year in the wake of the Virginia Beach tragedy. Following every mass shooting, our sense of security is shaken, we grieve, and then we demand action … and nothing. Will this time be different? I applaud the special session the Virginia General Assembly will convene in July and hope we will see progress. In the meantime, your City Council will continue advocating Richmond for commonsense gun legislation, increased funding for mental health services, and local authority so we can create gun policies that make sense for our community.
*Need some zen? Check out the new downtown park with free yoga class taught by Karma Yoga, starting this Sunday June 9th at 9 am. Bring a yoga mat and meet at the park in the 100 block of W. Broad (between Hunan Cafe and Hot n’ Juicy). Also come to the grand opening party on Monday night at 6 pm. Walk, bike, bikeshare to the park, or you can park in any public spaces or in the George Mason Square garage right across the street on weeknights and weekends.
What’s Coming Up:
(1) Community Comprehensive Plan Meeting – Tomorrow, June 8th @ 9 am (Columbia Baptist Church). How do you want to see the City of Falls Church grow? Share your ideas about the future of The Little City with us at this community meeting. You can also provide your input on population change and growth and housing needs in these two surveys.
(2) Tinner Hill Music Festival – Tomorrow, June 8th @ 11 am – 9 pm (Cherry Hill Park). Re-branded music festival right in the Little City, with all proceeds benefiting the Tinner Hill Heritage Foundation.
(3) What’s the latest on the new GMHS or the WFC Project? Last Summer Sunday Series Town Hall on Sunday, June 9th @ 2 pm (Community Center) or Community Meeting on Wednesday, June 12th @ 7 pm (Mary Ellen Henderson Cafetorium) – learn the latest on the revised economic development plan and offer your input before City Council votes in July.
(5) City Council Meeting – Monday, June 10th @ 730 pm (Community Center). Agenda is posted, including our proclamation for LGBTQ Pride Month and updates to the exotic animal ordinance.
(6) Democratic Primary Voting Day – Tuesday, June 11th @ 6 am – 7 pm. Registered voters waiting in line to vote at 7 pm will be allowed to vote. New to the city and need to find your polling location?
(7) Founders Row Community Meeting – Wednesday, June 12th @ 5 pm (FR Construction Trailer)
(8) New GMHS Groundbreaking – Friday, June 14th @ 2 pm (new GMHS site) It’s been a long time since we’ve built a new high school in Falls Church. RSVP here for this historic event.